Pages

Sunday, November 20, 2011

Advent 2011 - Part 2


It seems as if I have been planning this year's Advent since last year's Christmas.

Sometime this summer, I decided to create a monthly calendar for me with some important dates and cool projects to do so that we can better live the Liturgical Year. I have a lot of saint books and there are a lot of creative moms out there who are kind enough to post their ideas. I have been filling in the schedule as I find neat ideas during the year. Hopefully I will actually do what I am listing as the year goes on.

Below is a list of dates/days for this Advent and what I am planning to do with the littles to make this Advent a little more special. I admit that most, if not all, these ideas were pilfered from someone who is more creative than I.

Advent begins this year on Sunday Nov 27th. When putting things on my schedule, I have tried to avoid making plans for the weekend days. We have lots of things going on and Frank is usually home so I don't want to plan anything for those days.

I am hoping to paint some new wooden saints to go with the feast days that occur within Advent as well.
During the entire season, I would like to read from the following books each day:
Link

Link

For the Jesse Tree book, I plan to have the children work on clay figures to mimic the ornaments from the story. (that should be very messy and aggravating for me interesting!)


WEEK ONE

Nov 27
First Sunday of Advent
project: make Advent wreaths at Church

Nov 29
project: make pipe cleaner candy canes
food: probably make a ham and cheese roll in the shape of a candy cane

Dec 1
project: make poinsettias (a felt project)

Dec 2



WEEK TWO

Dec 4
Second Sunday of Advent

Dec 5

Dec 6
St Nicholas Feast Day
receive new slippers with St Nicholas Coins

Dec 7

Dec 8
Feast Day of the Immaculate Conception
project: make tissue roses

Dec 9
St Juan Diego Feast Day
project: make a paper tilma with roses from day before
food: eat tacos!


WEEK THREE

Dec 11
Third Sunday of Advent

Dec 12
Our Lady of Guadalupe Feast Day
project: make God's Eyes
food: more Mexican food!
this is my birthday, so reading a book about a Swedish saint works well.

Dec 13
St Lucia Feast Day
project: make beeswax candles
food: have girls serve cinnamon rolls for breakfast

Dec 14
Nathaniel's Birthday


WEEK FOUR

Dec 17 - Dec 23
O Antiphon Days
read two chapters per day
listen to O Come Emmanuel daily
(my absolute favorite song!)

Dec 23

Dec 24

 I own most of the books listed above. There are a couple (marked with the asterisk) that I am borrowing from the Library. Eventually, I hope to get these as well. I am hoping I did the links correctly. I linked to Amazon to benefit Parent Project Muscular Dystrophy (PPMD)  just in case anyone orders anything using the links.

Of course, all of this is subject to change; and probably will. Circumstances: doctor appointments, friend visits, or general chaos in the house will probably dictate what we will get accomplished more than this list. But at least I have some sort of plan.

I am hoping to find some other, new fun things to do this season... we shall see.

3 comments:

  1. Karen,

    Delighted that we can be mutually inspiring, Karen. You inspire me with the rich materials you have provided your children and the way you so obviously are doing a great job raising them. Your children are awesome with mine. I love seeing how they take care of them and play with them when we're at the playground.

    Also, these are some great plans you have here. I might model after some of them as I just realized that Advent starts this coming Sunday and I have yet to plan a thing.

    Yes, my relaxed state only goes so far. I'm in a mind frenzy now trying to think of what to do with what we have that is doable within the constraints of our schedule without beating myself up over having soooo far yet to go in actualizing the Mama-Homeschooler I want to be. Sort of like Wildflowers and Marbles portrays. Have you seen her AWESOME advent post/plans - http://wildflowersandmarbles.blogspot.com/2011/11/toward-living-advent-and-christmas-2011.html

    Ahhh, some day... Until then, day by day, moment by moment. And all in God's grace.

    LOVE and PEACE to you and yours

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, Karen, I was just about to email you re: other fun things to do during Advent!!- I am hosting a "Craft♥Advent" Linky party over at my blog-the idea is that I will be posting a seasonal craft/ tutorial/recipe for each day of Advent and I'm inviting and welcoming any other bloggers to link up too- please say you'll party with us!!!! I am so ooking forward to enjoying and celebrating Advent this year (as always): I am going to try source some of the books you mentioned for our Advent journey. Blessings and love from the other side ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just wanted you to know you inspired me so I have paid it forward while linking it back to you, too, at http://traininghappyhearts.blogspot.com/2011/11/planning-simple-yet-complete-advent.html

    ReplyDelete

A New Start?

A test of sorts.....  I think I'm going to try something old-new.  It has been too many years since my last post. The world's differ...